7.30.2003

The Perseids are almost here again, and even though the busy days will fall during the week, I think it's time for another meteor shower party. This has become increasingly difficult to host ever since I moved into town (what a country bumpkin term that is), but perhaps there is a way to do it well.

It's funny, really. I have no interest at all in watching a fireworks show, but these meteor showers are just amazing to watch. The first year I was able to get friends together for the Perseids was probably around 6 years ago. It was by far the best show to date -- with flashes of light from the sky so bright that we were stunned silent. Then there was the year we took blankets out and told stories as we rested in my backyard, searching the sky for something greater than ourselves.

Since the best days this year will be the 12th and 13th, we could actually have a party on the 15th and still stand a very good chance of having a decent display -- even with the moon haugtily refusing to give us just a little more darkness.

I guess it's time to start looking for a good location. And with a few blankets, some good music, and a little wine, I don't see how anything could go wrong. Even without the sighting of just one meteor, we're sure to have a good time.

I'm so thankful for being able to find beauty in what others might easily shrug their shoulders at. With all the craziness that seems to be falling around me lately, I need solace in simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment