5.24.2014

#EveryDayinMay - Remember Us


It's Memorial Day weekend, and when you read this I'll be out hiking the Ouachita Trail in southeastern Oklahoma.

But right now I'm working on a bit of curriculum writing for some work I'm doing with North Star of Texas Writing Project. One of the poems selected is The Young Dead Soldiers Do Not Speak, by Archibald MacLeish. He was an artillery officer in WWI, and wrote this poem for a memorial service after WWII. I hadn't read this text before working on this particular curriculum, so I spent some time reading and rereading, and researching the poet and poem. It's a strong piece, and I'm glad we chose to share it in the work we're doing with these teachers and students.

It's also a beautiful poem to share for Memorial Day. The first few lines are below, and you can read the complete poem here.


Enjoy this long weekend, friends -- perhaps taking some time to reflect on how your life can honor the sacrifices of those who have gave so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment