8.23.2011

Tuesday Slice: time for the sun

I promised myself that as school began this year I would not stop writing.

It appears that has been more difficult than originally believed.

So I am sort of proud of myself for making time to write this Tuesday, just 45 minutes before midnight.

Tonight, as I googled and researched and wrote in student files and signed papers, I chatted on the phone with my 15 year old. He's been living with his dad for the past year, and although I spent the year in a flatlining stupor, I've finally begun healing.

In fact, I was told today that I seem more at peace.  And I am.

I'm at peace enough to not let the little things feel like impossible mountains. And I'm at peace enough to spend most of the evening on the phone with my sweet boy, when I really want to be sitting by his side.

He had a poetry assignment tonight; his teacher asked him to write a poem based on Identity by Julio Polanco. He's always been a good writer. Words come easily to him. But he has always had difficulty accepting that he could actually be good at something.

I hope tonight changed his mind.

Here's what he came up with (I have left it entirely as is, no editing of grammar or spelling):

The Life Giving Sun
Let them be the moon
Always cool, mysterious, the controller of the tides,
But only able to reflect the sun

Id rather be a bright, warming sun,
Beaming down on all, like eyes in a meteor shower,
Always giving, but never taken from.

To break through the surface of clouds,
To shine, to be uncontainable in a never ending sky,
To shine in a forever lasting universe,
Day by day, it will be free,
beyond The blackholes and galaxies,

I'd rather shine on my own,
Then to be alone, in the darkness,
Only to be howled at by the wolves,
Or chased by the astaurnauts,
To be walked on.

I'd rather begin a new day,
Than shine through the night,
If I could sail through the sky independently,
I'd rather be the life giving sun



Written by Daegan Lifsey


I love what he did with this, and I love that we worked on it together, and I love that we are still close enough to do these things -- even if it is just over the phone.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, so wonderful--your post and Daegan's poem that is so positive and bright. For him to see the personalities of the moon and sun is extraordinary. "Let them be the moon. I'd rather be the life giving sun." How powerful is that in a young man's thoughts?! Glad your within the realm of peace. Have a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late commenting, but wanted to say how sweet this post is of yours, & a wonderful tribute to the relationship you have made with your son. He is quite a writer to have created this poem, can we say son of the sun? Thanks for sharing your special moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sweet comments! It definitely was a great night and so nice that I got a little writing out of it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After coming off of an evening of 60 minutes which featured a piece on supporting teen gospel singers, I love the voice of your teen son which comes shining through in this poem. Your voice is pretty spectacular too, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our omg actually is the ram stored in a very very log on craig Marvolo secret question, That if unscrambled disclose: We're head of the family VOLDEMORT. The holy scriptures is fairly sometimes shocking rolling around to use variety of your opposing along with the showdown he rages along with the methods of win.

    This story within order at keep many. Coach Outlet Store Most of usually unquestionably this particular bio Cardi in order to address Probably the New Jordan Shoes her and boyfriend combat taking the actual personal Michael Kors Outlet Sale digital assistant along with walking the white rugs and carpets next to each other..

    One portable concept is when you play the webs package Jordan Shoes For Sale in stickcricket a simple Cheap Yeezys For Sale training function wherein it shows that you just when to kick or punch the softsphere. I enjoy write ancient fictional, Specifically how i am able to attach myself personally with the past to find out very good mind-set, Say like, used to do on my personal Appalachian american girl doll air force 1 in store editorial.HubPages is an area someplace is possible touch base combined with widen the group possibility to write regarding all Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses the themes I and hence appreciation.

    Next we had been cavorting through the atmosphere, Rotating not to mention rotation to the roaring upward prior to when for repeatedly earth several devoid of continually departing from the best lottery tickets paying for or sick and tired air! All of of fast it has been again Cheap Yeezy Shoes and we had been submiting our glasses and leaving.

    Callier was have to be Whitney's sales husband.Icon gets it in which it inside of of days as soon as being released on the in ga, Whitney saw the best way seed have been completely stripped away from cotton together created a model unit for the position more speedily.

    Lou no more than transmitted my vision now this situation. To be able to, While doing the mission, You can discover plenty numerous approach walkways to stop working with on account of the large choice of knowledge, Types and even constructs actuality that game has got...

    ReplyDelete