4.14.2011

Book Review: Love Shrinks

It's been a while since I've left the Young Adult shelves and ventured into the world of "real adult books," so I decided to check out what netgalley had to offer for a YA addict that needs to feel like a grown up for a minute. I couldn't be happier with my choice: Sharyn Wolf's Love Shrinks. Many people will recognize Wolf from her numerous Oprah appearances and previous books, such as Fifty Ways to Find a Lover and How to Stay Lovers for Life, to name a few.


Being a media hermit, this was all news to me. But netgalley peaked my interest -- how could I not want to know the story of a marriage counselor who had three failed marriages of her own? Maybe it's human nature's need to stop and watch a car crash in action, or perhaps it was my own issues with previous marriages that I knew I would find echoed in the pages of Love Shrinks. Either way, I knew it was a must-read. And I was right. I was held captive by every page. I think you will be, too.


Wolf's memoir of childhood pain and strangled attempts at love are blended seamlessly amidst glimpses of her patient's own raw and honest stories. Love Shrinks is told with enough simplicity to let the story flow smoothly forward, and the truth in her words touches on the relationship wounds we all carry with us, no matter how large or small. 

This is a captivating read that I found myself thinking about even after I put the book aside, and I feel sure that everyone that reads Wolf's memoir will find a little piece of themselves tucked somewhere within the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment