1.02.2011

2010: there and back again

I found this yearly survey last year, at All & Sundry. I did my own version for 2009, but kept it to myself. Still in chameleon mode, not willing to share -- not ready to be open. This year has brought many changes -- some I'm proud of, some not so proud. A any rate, I give you my year in a nutshell:

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?

Shared my personal writing with other writers. Joining the Writing Project and spending the summer surrounded by other women, teachers, writers -- a huge chameleon-shedding step for me that has changed me in so many ways.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?


I think if you're going to make resolutions, you have to be willing to actually look at them each month and gauge your progress. Something I obviously did not do very well last year. Here's a look at my resolutions from 2009:
Get back on the healthy bandwagon – this was done with true bipolar flair. I'm fairly certain I spent half the year getting tone and shedding fat, proud of my rockin' awesome eating habits, and the other half of the year nomnomnoming away on chocolate and ice cream. Not the greatest success.
Strive to learn from my mistakes and become as good of a wife as Isaac is a husband to me. - This year has been full of ups and downs. The downs have been darker than any I've known before. But The Husband and I are so much stronger. I'm lucky to have him.
Spend more quality UNPLUGGED time with the kids. - Yeah. This would be a big huge FAIL. Although we did have some great game nights, I think we all play more video games now than before.

For 2011?
* Workout consistently three times a week. I'd love to say more, but hell, let's face it -- anything is an improvement from "not at all" and I'd like to start with something that feels reachable. Since Dos moved out, there isn't much that feels that way, so I think this is a fair start.
* Write every day. 500 words. Preferably upon waking up.
* Submit a professional article on writing with my students for publication.
* Buy a home.
* Eat more meat & veggies, less grain & sugar. The goal here being completely grain/sugar free. Typically not a difficult thing, but seriously? Lately I am really struggling to not let food by my emotional crutch.
* Help Uno prepare for college: financial aid, testing, touring campuses - feels like SO much to stay on top of.
* Enter and compete in the Texas Warrior Dash this April.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Lots of babies in 2010, and many more arriving in 2011. I have a baby-blessed life.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Not close to me, but close to my friends, and the hardest part about that is not living close enough to offer things like hugs, late night ice cream chat sessions, drunken cry-fests.

5. What countries did you visit?
None.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
I want the same thing I wanted in 2010, which tells me I spent a year wallowing in limbo, and need to get my act together: a more consistent (lighter) weight, and a home of my own. I am done renting.

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
12/31 Watching fireworks from Allegra's porch and kissing my husband into the new year, and our second year of marriage
11/27 Getting back in touch with a dear friend; seeing her baby for the first time in months.
11/14 Baby Julianne arrives.
8/13 Dos moves out. This still brings angry tears to my eyes.
June Became a part of North Star of Texas Writing Project

... and apparently my memory doesn't stretch back much further than that.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

One strong, committed year of marriage.
Not becoming a completely depression-paralyzed zombie when Dos moved out.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Definitely the health track. It's going to be a long road back to where I was before and I am so angry at myself about it.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hm. The bald spots and horrendous stomach and back pain all point to the answer being a definite yes. It's all stress related, and in the past 6 weeks I've been avidly fighting the stress, and even winning, occasionally.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
It's a toss up between the xBox Kinect, that I can literally spend hours dancing in front of, or my darling Charger. Or perhaps the myriad of new books stacked up everywhere in the house. This was a pretty good purchase year.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. What an angry truth. Such a waste. 2011 needs to be the year this changes.

13. What did you get really excited about?
Writing Project. Twitter as my PLN. Having my class participate in NaNoWriMo. My first anniversary with The Husband.

14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Raise Your Glass - P!nk
Firework - Katy Perry

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Sadder
– thinner or fatter? Fatter
– richer or poorer? Poorer
Wow. That's a little depressing.

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Laughing. Adventuring. Exercising. Creating.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Crying. Wallowing. Worrying.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
As always, with my amazing Seestah and her family.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
I love watching Modern Family with Uno & Hubby. Not sure if it's my fave, though.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Cripes...
A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
... to name a few.




21. What was your favorite music from this year?

A little of everything, but as always, P!nk's new stuff makes me happy.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Inception.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I don't remember much about my birthday. I was 36.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Dos staying with us.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Smoke & Mirrors

26. What kept you sane?
Isaac.



27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.

I would love to say I've learned a valuable life lesson. Unfortunately, I'm still working on the lesson part. When Dos moved out, my entire world spun apart. I'm carefully pasting all the pieces back together now, but with each replaced part I find a new shape emerging. I'm in a new world. I still hurt. Daily. But I'm moving again, and that's one blessing. I'll let you know when I figure out something worth learning through all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment