1.13.2004

Today I banned my first book.

Child Numero Uno was reading his new book this morning, preparing for some work the would be doing throughout the day for his first book report. He seemed fairly interested in this book, and since he can be so difficult to intrigue, this was an exciting change. At one point he looked up at me and said, "Uh, I don't think I should be reading this book. It has bad words."

Indeed, one character was talking to another and swearing. My first thought was to let it pass. Author's need to use certain voices to better establish the character. No problem. I can look past one cuss word.

And then there were two.

So my decision was this: character establishment or not, my job is to develop the Chrisitan character of my 4th grader. He was upset that his school library allowed that book in a children's library, so I think we're doing all right.

Today I banned a book. I'm still surprised but not ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment