11.03.2001

My mom just told me about a friend of her sister's that died from ovarian cancer. Apparently the woman was having very bad stomach pains, and when she went in to the hospital she found out that she had ovarian cancer that had spread and was so bad that nothing could be done. And two weeks later, she died.

Two weeks later. I cannot imagine going to the doctor or hospital because of hellish stomach pains and finding out I was dying and there was nothing to be done about it. I assume she didn't even know that she only had two weeks to live. And you know those ridiculous questions like, "If you knew you were dying, the world was ending, whatever, in 24 hours, what would you do?" ... well, they aren't even fair. If you're dying of cancer, I seriously doubt you'd have the energy or ability to do all the things you say you want to do. This woman had no idea she had cancer! Just a strange tummy pain, right? Well, apparently not.

Maybe this bothers me so much because I feel especially close to it. With all my recent odd female problems, I sometimes worry about what could really be the problem. Maybe it just bothers me because I'm a woman. I don't know. I don't even know this lady, don't even know her name.

But I'm mostly upset by the suddeness of it. The fact that she thought she was fine one day, and realized she was dying the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment