7.29.2001

So the last post. It seems like this should be something special, and in my sleep deprived state, I'll do my best.

When I first heard about this blogathon, it was through Crystal -- she was contagiously excited -- as she gets about most things. I waited a bit, pondered a while, and wishy-washy'd back and forth for a week or more.

I couldn't decide who I wanted to choose as my charity. There are so many causes that I believe in, so many that are worthy. And once I finally narrowed it down, I couldn't decide whether to use a local or national charity. So many questions ... but when it finally came down to it, I'm really happy with what I chose.

And there are a lot of reasons for that.

Equality Now reaches out to help all the women in the world that find themselves without a voice. They are able to touch places all across the globe. And the strength and power within their organization gives me hope.

If people can reach out and help others; if I can reach out and help others, then surely I can reach within and help myself. And those around me. There is something healing in helping others. There is something that causes a growth of self-confidence and strength ... something sort of mystical, I think.

I would imagine that nearly everyone on this planet has been victimized in one way, shape, or form in their lifetime. Some of us pick up and move on, some of us linger in the darkness. Some of us need a helping hand. And sometimes ... just seeing that other people care about the plight of humankind is enough to help those that seem to be stuck in the darkness.

The past 24 hours has been enlightening (though at times very crazy and a lot of the time light-hearted) for me. I know staying up for this period of time on its own isn't that much of a big deal. But it's the cause behind it, the determination to not give up, the massive amount of people -- participants and sponsors -- that flowed together and produced something beautiful, that has given me a new sense of hope.

And that is something I sincerely needed, because I've been floundering. So thank you to all the people who made this happen, thank you to all the people that supported it, all the people that even if you didn't sponsor financially gave a little piece of yourself to a person you knew would need it.

Thank you.

Because even if you don't think you did much, you did.

So this is me, 24 hours later, saying thanks. I have newfound hope. And I know in my heart that many other people do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment