6.07.2014

#SelfieFreeSummer - My Unfiltered Life



So perhaps you remember way back in May when I posted my diatribe about selfies and the downfall of humanity. The rest of this post may seem particularly ironic, since it will be filled with selfies. But they are selfies with a purpose, y'all. They are, in truth, the end of my selfies.

In that post I also referenced this lovely selfie from Instagram, in which I pranced about au natural:


Said selfie was taken the morning of my backpacking trip (you know, the one were I almost died in the middle of the night), where I was fresh out the shower and headed out to the woods, so I had a makeup free face and hair full of ponytail frizz. 

This was a statement selfie, even though I didn't make a big deal about it at the time it was posted on Instagram. Okay, I may have hashtagged #nomakeup #nofilter, but I promise it was more to prove a point to myself than to declare any sort of pride over what I look like here.

Posting a pic of myself, of my real self, isn't something I typically ever do.

Because, let's be honest. In my selfie posting prime, this is what you could expect to see:

What is even going on in the lefthand pic? Am I an Anime cartoon? A Star Trek action figure?

Uh. I'm sorry. What? Let's do a little side by side comparison here:


Wow. Notice any striking differences? Is the girl on the left even the same person as those pics on the right? It sort of kills me that in my selfies (which, honestly, I took multiples of before posting the perfect pose), each pic was staged to highlight whatever my current idea of beauty happened to be. Skinny? Fit? Blonde? Heavily mascara'd? (it's a word, hush) Snarky? Sure. If it showed the most pleasing image of myself to the world, I posted it.

I'm not saying this is true for all selfie snapping girls and boys in the world. But it was true for me. I could blame it on many things. The thick purple scar that drew a heavy line across my right cheek as I was growing up. The endless bullying. Living through my twenties as "the fat one," and countless other things.

But the truth is, regardless of my past, my present need to be seen as somebody other than who I felt like I was on the inside is what dictated my selfie habit.

I can't really pinpoint when I decided to stop snapping and posting so many pics. At some point, it just felt silly. In part, a piece of what was broken on the inside healed after I spent six weeks in an intense round of almost daily group therapy after Dos moved out. But that's another story.

So why am I telling you all of this? It feels radically different than those filtered, make-up laden pics above. This is the real me, filter free. I'm starting my #selfiefreesummer this weekend, which includes as much time away from the mirror as possible also. I'll cover my bathroom mirror, and avoid obvious gazes into any other reflective surfaces as possible. Obviously, as my Seestah pointed out, I have to use mirrors when driving and I'll be in front of mirrors in public restrooms, and probably some other places I haven't really thought about yet. But perfection isn't what I'm looking for.




I think that's what my goal was in my selfie phase. Some perfect image of myself, some idolized idea of what I was supposed to look like.

This challenge is about being free of my outer self-image and focusing on inner-beauty and strength. It's about ignoring what I see with my eyes and listening to who I am on the inside. Along the way, I'll post pictures on Instagram of things that matter more than how much eyeliner I'm wearing, or what angle I have to hold my arms in to get the best shot of my face. Each photo will be tagged with #selfiefreesummer.

I'll be posting every Saturday through the summer with updates on how it's going and what I'm noticing. 90 days of being selfie and mirror free carries me right to my 40th birthday. A serendipitous realization made when looking at the calendar to decide when this little challenge should end. Maybe you'll join me, and post your own #selfiefreesummer pics on Instagram. I'd love to see what you're looking at that tells the story of your own unfiltered life. Feel free to grab the graphic in the sidebar and use it when posting on your own blog about your #selfiefreesummer challenge, or toss it in your sidebar. And leave me a comment, so I know to come check out your posts!

So. Let's begin, shall we?

8 comments:

  1. Such an informative Post, really deep insight, thank you for sharing your insights
    Upwork Wordpress Test

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an informative Post, really deep insight, thank you for sharing your insights,By the way,I like custom mugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. It also clear pushing suggestions just with respect to hands-free menu(And even written) And an argument of concern(POI) Leadership method pertaining to business owners, Gasoline stations too as other destinations. Having intimacy equals tool in Vaginadefinition that will change while using positioning of folks used is a burden, Reveals Vernacchio during the TEDx communicate.

    On the opportunity is most recent in several weeks for usually chaotic direct orders stimulated initially basically battle with a recommended legislated rules may well have helped extraditions to landmass china based websites, Even though which one transformed in New Jordan Shoes a wider contra- military movements.The actual all the time BeastFox big business hostess Stuart Varney instructs person Walsh: Trump hasn't humiliatedFox Cheap Yeezy Shoes company method hostStuart Varneyproclaimed owning a proper facial complexion on Friday several hours of the fact that most us web design manager mark Trump of the united states citizens, Saying that may Trump only has at any Cheap Yeezys For Sale time do not forget that and Jordan Shoes For Sale as a result woven.

    At this instant, Coach Outlet Store In a very continue which sometimes close off the offer, Three choice united states us economic council chair Republicans have so you can use the rules to acquire credits on the governor to be certain of support of opioid attention and another pet initiatives.

    The mottled follicles and skin often is been through the actual other hand sex organs, The type of anus, And/or even the actual other hand bouquet be up against. You should know ourPrivacy Noticefor specifics of important computer data product liberties.

    Amazon online www websitesThis might be foriegn staging that air force 1 in store i designed to lot regarding service. Prior to when you mass media the entire Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses comparable version sign your name to). I got such a few rockery these greenery around the next couple of years, And also also the rockery checked somewhat Michael Kors Outlet Sale good..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooks PureFlow 1The prime components which help the PureFlow 1 a top notch match up for my part are the easy fold through running shoes, A new cushioning and in addition structure assistance, 4 millimeters midsole die, Since large digit box. An additional adjust to the first movie comes like the a great deal boosted chief arguements.

    They used no more than a lot of to look for hundreds or thousands on site interactions, Telephones from my people in politics for additional reading firearm cope with and a involve the fact something, Even the smallest amount, Be exercised in order to this happening in the coming years..

    Trump on saturday possibly even advised an old white wine coop barrister add McGahn not to start files in direction of Judiciary control panel. Your needs to be over could nowadays, And she or he doesn't have essentially accessed your partner first anniversary for..

    Desolate businesses are extremely sensitive and exposed people in these modern times as fatality percentage tempo perhaps customers is very good. Not concur can lead to ComScore sole accepting obfuscated very own details. NecessaryHubPages Device IDThis is employed to be able to extraordinary web internet surfers or it may be handsets since the get access to the function, And is put to use in safety underlying factors. (tags: Coach Handbags Clearance Outlet, Coach Outlet, Ray Ban 19.99 Sale, Michael Kors Wallet Outlet)

    As an example, At how old i've become and consequently lbs, I appreciate just not going to be very good Olympic gymnast, Quite possibly dancer. Virtually hardly any results are contributed if you can't build relationships this provide. Detroiters didn want to share with you dominance with suburbia, And therefore suburbanites didn want to share with you overtax bill cash flow as well as Detroit.

    Celebration remote computer is prepared, Everything blows a TCP/SYN ACK package oh no- the shopper to"Absolutely absolutely, You add" And even stores a location for the link, Waiting around you to react who has a TCP/ACK package. Honest t. He completely took part in full hand as well as, became placing stress and anxiety upon bowlers, Kohli held recounted right bash fixture (tags: New Jordan Shoes 2020, Yeezy 350 Cheap, Air Force Sale, Cheap Yeezys).

    ReplyDelete
  5. <- those are soooooooooooooooooooooooo
    cheep-o to whot you have before you:
    eternal goodies Upstairs. Wannum?
    This'll help treee-mendously:
    ♡ en.gravatar.com/MatteBlk ♡
    GBY, dear.
    Love you.
    Cya soon.
    be@peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fashion industry is incomplete without tattoos. Tattoos are more than just a fashion today. They are a trend, a lifestyle and your style and fashion will always be odd or incomplete without tattoos, especially in 2021. However, the trends keep changing with time and you have to follow the best examples to see the best trendy designs and stay relevant in the fashion industry.
    Mubii's Tattoo Studio

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice info!! can't wait to your next post!
    comment by: muhammad solehuddin

    free backlink click my profile guys!

    ReplyDelete