3.26.2014

#SOL14 - For the Love of The Hunger Games


So often I have students (mostly girls) come to me and ask for Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games. Now, I can't blame them for wanting to read it -- The Hunger Games is everybody's darling right now. They've seen the trailer, many have seen the movie, and they love Jennifer Lawrence because everybody loves JLaw.

Of course, my students are not quite the typical age group. These are Fourth and Fifth grade students that want to read the book they think they fell in love with then they watched the movie. They ask me each week if I will pleasepleasepleaseplease-prettyplease-pleaseplease get the books into our library.

The thing is, I can't*. I work on elementary campuses and am allowed to purchase middle grade books for my libraries. The Hunger Games and many of it's similar YA brethren (sisterhood?) are out. I'm trying to compile a decent go-to list of dystopian books geared toward middle grade students, but so far the pickings seem slim.

So, dear reader, I'm hoping you can help. What dystopian novels would you recommend to Fourth and Fifth grade readers that are eager to jump into a story environment similar to The Hunger Games?


*A friend far wiser than me pointed out I could just borrow from one of our middle schools, which is true, but I'd also like to create a display of "Like this… You'll love…" to help students navigate toward materials we have in our libraries.

4 comments:

  1. Here's a wonderful list compiled by the amazing people at TCRWP:
    http://readingandwritingproject.com/resources/book-lists-classroom-libraries-and-text-sets-for-students.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question. I have no idea. I just googled it, but the lists overlap with YA. Good luck in your search. My daughter (4th grade) is about to finish the Harry Potter Series. Some of her friends are reading The Hunger Games, but I don't think she's ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a hard questions since so many dystopian is for middle school. I would say Divergent is great but that is out for 4th and 5th grade. However I work in my kids school library (k-8) and we do check that and hunger games out to 4th and 5th grade. How about the Giver? is that middle school aged? What about Margaret Haddix she is very popular with 3rd through middle school. Sorry I'm not much help. I will go through out books and see what the younger kids check out that is dystopian genre if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete