11.21.2001

Tonight I went into the hair salon with hair as thick and heavy as a mop. I left with hair that is nice and fluffy, and very very big. So big, in fact, that I thought perhaps I should audition for the Miss Texas Bighead competition.

Then I went to Tanya's to visit my kids once more before they spent the night there and I spent the night preparing for a flight that I am seriously not prepared for. They danced and jumped and giggled as they got ready for bed, excited to be at a friends house, excited to be leaving the next day with Randy for Louisiana. I gave them many hugs and kisses and I love you's ... too many, maybe. I've been away from my kids before. But this felt different. I stood at the doorway for a long moment taking in everything about them: how Steven arches one eyebrow when he thinks someone is being silly, how Daegan's smile can light up an entire room. And then I turned into the cold and drove away.

I couldn't get the feeling of "what if" out of my head. Not for the length of time it took me to drive from her house to WalMart, where I needed to pick up various last minute things. I couldn't get those thoughts to go away while I shopped or even at the check-out, while the woman tried very matter-of-factly to tell me all about how soon Christmas would be here.

So I came home and I ignored the fact that I still hadn't packed. And I painted my nails (toes AND fingers, boys and girls) and I made some phone calls and recieved a few more before I finally decided to peek into my closet and pack away the things I needed. Packing was a strange thing, too. Thinking that people might be nosing around in my luggage made me feel like perhaps I should pack much neater than usual. Then I realized (for the fiftieth time tonight) that I am the most paranoid freak that I know.

And in 3.5 hours I must be awake and getting ready. I'm actually very excited. I've never taken a trip all by myself before, or even made so many plans for myself. It's kind of neat. No. It's really neat. So I'm sure that once I get over this feeling that I forgot something or left something out or didn't plan something correctly (and no, I refuse to say my real fears because you know, I just do) I will be fine. And happier. And I will stop forgetting what I am saying mid-sentence and stop standing in my room staring at my suitcase like it's something I've never seen before.

See you guys Saturday night. Kelly's off to have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment